Saturday, October 25, 2014

My First Solo Adventure in Rome

Knowing I would be going back and forth into Rome everyday for the next several weeks alone, made me think I needed to try going in on my own before school started.  I also needed to do it in a slower time of the day for the first time so I wouldn't be so overwhelmed.

I knew I had a Bible study in Rome at 6:45 so I thought if I went a few hours before I would be able to make sure I knew my way, and then see a few sights.

So I walked to the train station, paid for a day pass and took the train to Rome.  After arriving at Termini I went down to the Metro.  I thought I knew which way to go from there, so I though I would start my sightseeing and headed to the other line and to Piazza Barbinini.

Looking at my little map I saw on the Via di Quattro Fontane ended in Piazza Barbinini.  I knew there were the 4 Fountains on that road and I thought I would start there.  So I walked up that street.  I found them alright, they were all covered up. They are being worked on.  No new pictures of them.

I turned right and headed in the direction of Trevi Fountain.  I had seen Trevi Fountain the last time I was here with my sister.  I have a picture of me tossing a coin into the fountain over my shoulder.  The next time we went by it they were cleaning it so the water had been turned off.  So, I was looking forward to seeing the fountain again.

Let me just say here that I LOVE following maps.  As a child while we would go on vacation, both of my sisters had the door seats and I had the hump.  I didn't mind the hump seat, but I could not lean up against anything (or anyone) and nap like my sisters could.  So, I would lean up to the back of the front seat and watch out the windshield.  I would see the speed limit signs and compare them to the actual speed my Daddy was driving.  After pointing this out several times, my Mother and Daddy decided it was time for me to become 'the Navigator' for that trip (as well as future trips, too!)  They gave me a map, told me basically where we were and said find it on the map.  Through that experience I learned how to read a map and have loved using maps ever since.

However, THIS little map of Rome does not have all the streets listed, does not show the roads exactly as they are, and does not cover all of Rome.  It has a lot of good information on it, especially one section of Rome (Trastevere) but to actually follow it where I was and wanted to go was quite a challenge.

I would get turned around, but I would find where I was and turn around and find the right way.  I saw Piazza di Quirnale with cool lamp posts.  I saw LOTS of motorcycles and small cars.  Even a cute little red car with a long stem rose in the windshield wipers!  I didn't see a lot of people, so I knew I was not in the right place!

I had not planned on it, but ended up at the Monument to Vittor Emanuel II, called the ‘Wedding Cake’ or ‘typewriter’ by Italians.  At least from here I could recheck my map and follow it to Trevi Fountain!  


When I finally made it to Trevi Fountain over two hours of my time had been spent walking back and forth trying to actually find it.  Now I was disappointed.  I realized before I even arrived that I would not be seeing anything like I expected.  There was a high fence around it and most of the monument was covered up.  There was scaffolding in front of all of it.  There was no water anywhere.  They even had built a walkway where you could get a closer look at the monument.  It was going through a major restoration.  

While there, however, I overheard two American women talking about now needing to try to find their way to the Spanish Steps.  I checked my time and realized I needed to be heading that way, too.  So, my desire to help kicked in and I suggested they follow me.  I was heading that direction, too.  (Remember I had just spent a majority of the last two hours not knowing where I was!)  But, I KNEW it was north of here.  I had been by the Spanish Steps twice before, since the Bible study was near there.  I knew which road to take to get us there!  (At least I thought I did!)

These two ladies were childhood friends from Wisconsin and were enjoying a trip to Rome together.  I shared with them why I was in Rome as we walked along.  About the time one of them asked, 'are you sure this is right?  Is it very far now?'  I turned a corner and pointed towards the Spanish Steps, just a couple of blocks ahead.  They were so happy as they continued on their way.

I continued to walk around and I found a little shop that sold a Panini of cooked ham and fresh mozzarella for 3.50 euro.  It was very good.  Then stopped for a gelato.  I've tasted better!  Went on to the Bible study arriving early!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful. Exciting. Enchanting. So glad you are having a special time. Let me know when you've met the Pope.

    ReplyDelete